India’s Biggest Superstar – Rajinikanth
If someone were to ask you who is India’s biggest superstar, what would you say? If you respond with Amitabh Bachan or Shah Rukh Khan you’d be wrong like a Catholic priest locked in a room with a deaf child. There is one superstar who is bigger than both of them and it’s Rajinikanth.
If you only follow Bollywood, then chances are you may not have heard of him. But this man is a legend in South India. When most people think of South Indian movies, we think of Indian thriller and the most insane special effects/stunts ever imagined. Rajinikanth’s movies also fall in this category. In a Rajinikanth movie, you will see him dodging bullets, taking down helicopters, stopping a criminal by throwing a bottle at him from 500 yards away, beating up goons with his South Indian Kung Fu and proving that everything you learned in Physics is wrong. He is the highest paid actor in India and only the 2nd highest paid actor in all of Asia after Jackie Chan. His movies often make as much money in just the South Indian region alone as SRK movies make globally. He is extremely popular in Japan, South Africa, Germany and many other nations. He has starred in close to 200 movies and at 60, he still plays the lead in his movies.
I enjoy Rajinikanth movies because I know what to expect. Rajnikanth is all about style. He may not have the face of Hrithik Roshan or Salman’s body, but when it comes to style he is #1. Whether it is flipping a cigarette in his mouth or getting off a bike, the man is all about style and no one does it better than him. I go see a Rajinikanth movie expecting to be entertained by his style and action scenes that make you feel like you’re tripping on acid and that is exactly what I get.
Rajinikanth has achieved God-like status in South India. He is worshipped the same way India worships it’s #1 athlete Sachin Tendulkar. His story of going from rags to riches is inspiring and gives hope to the poor. When his die hard fans watch his movies, you can see sparkle in their eyes. This is no lie – find a Rajinikanth fan, play one of his movies and watch his eyes. You’ll be lost in a dream. Rajinikanth movies are so far-fetched that on the internet, he is spoken of as India’s Chuck Norris. You know what I’m talking about – those Chuck Norris facts that have gained popularity. If you look on the internet, you’ll find some Rajinikanth facts. Here are some more facts:
- When Rajinikanth smokes on screen, it is actually the cigarette smoking Rajinikanth.
- When Rajinikanth smokes, he gives cigarettes Rajinikanth cancer.
- Rajinikanth is the result of an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object.
- The Large Hadron Collider was actually created to find out if Rajinikanth started the big bang.
- Rajinikanth movies are the reason why the global financial crisis hasn’t affected India.
- Women have periods because Rajinikanth can’t bleed.
- Only Rajinikanth can tell you if it’s the time to disco.
- Pappu can’t dance saala, because Rajinikanth broke his legs.
- NASA discovered water on the moon only because Rajinikanth took a piss there.
- The world’s best Cricket player, Sachin Tendulkar, is actually Rajinikanth’s avatar.
If you have never seen a Rajinikanth movie, then the next time you and your friends are bored, rent one and watch it. If you have a South Indian friend, then it’s even better to watch it with him.
Here are some awesome and ridiculous Rajini movie clips: